It’s that time of year!
The police alert messaging services says it has seen an increase in shed and outbuilding breaks in the Bideford and surrounding rural areas.
Sheds and outbuildings are being entered often by damaging locks and offenders are entering to steal garden tools and machinery.
They give the following advice:
• Put away all valuable items.
• Secure sheds and garages, using a closed shackle padlock.
• Fix grilles or a mesh to any windows to prevent them from becoming an easy access point for thieves.
• Make sure the shed door is as strong and solid as the main structure.
• Install security lights.
• Ensure all your gates and fences are well maintained. If possible, make fences high enough that they are difficult to climb over. You may need to check local planning regulations (most allow approximately two metres of height).
• Secure items by locking them together or to a ground anchor.
• Property mark all items.
• Record all serial numbers of any valuable property through www.Immobilise.com
• Report any suspicious behaviour, including any descriptions/registration of vehicle if seen on 999/101 as applicable.
The more difficult you make it for items to be removed the greater the deterrent.
Please share this advice to those who may benefit from it.