A few highlights from the Town Council’s newsletter:
- 11am, Friday 11 November – Parade, Bude Triangle
- 9.30am, Sunday 13 November – Stratton War Memorial, followed by service at St Andrew’s, Stratton
- 10.30am, Sunday, 13 November – Parade, The Strand, Bude followed by service at Bude Methodist Church (circa 11.15am)
Bude & Stratton Branch of the Royal British Legion will be lighting up the War Memorial on Shalder Hill at dusk, on Friday 11 November and Sunday 13 November, in remembrance of all those who have fought for our country.
New Deputy Mayor
BSTC has welcomed a new Deputy Mayor, Councillor Jackie Diffey, who was elected unanimously to the post at October’s Full Council meeting.
Cllr Diffey joined BSTC in May 2021 and plays an active role in many areas of Town Council work. She is Vice Chair of the Oversight Committee, and Lead Cllr for Arts & Culture. She is also a member of the Planning and Staffing Committees.
Open House Scheme – to keep warm
BSTC is working closely with a number of local organisations on an Open House (Warm Spaces) programme this winter. The idea is to encourage the community to come together and help each other out, in a warm, friendly environment.
Open House venues
- The Parkhouse Centre – from Monday, 21 November. Mondays & Fridays, 10am – 4pm
- Neetside Community Centre – OPEN NOW. Tuesdays, Wednesdays & Thursdays, 10am – 4pm (see www.neetside.co.uk for more info)
- Bude & Stratton Branch Royal British Legion – w/c Monday, 21 November. Wednesdays, 10am – 4pm
- The Tree Inn, Stratton – w/c Monday, 21 November. Tuesdays – Saturdays, 10am – 4pm
- The Pearl Exchange already offers something similar, called Free Spaces, open to 18-35 yr olds.
In the meantime, can you spare 3 hours a week to get involved? We’re essentially looking for people who can make a great cup of tea, but if you’re a whizz at board games, good at navigating the internet to point people in the right direction for help, partial to a biscuit or two, all the better!
We’re also on the hunt for donations – jigsaw puzzles, board games, packs of cards, books, recent magazines, a few toys etc. You can bring them into the Parkhouse Centre foyer where there’s a collection box.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org for further information about what’s involved if you’d like to be a part of Open House sessions this winter.
Bude-Stratton Housing Needs Survey Report, 2022
- One of the key findings was the large number of Bude-Stratton residents who are potentially in need of affordable housing, but who are NOT registered with either Homechoice or Help to Buy South.
- Crucially, households are not eligible to bid on affordable homes until they are listed on either of these registers.
There are links in the newsletter …
Meet the Councillor
Meet the Councillor sessions are now taking place upstairs at the Castle on the first Saturday of the month, between 11am – 12pm. Pop along to grab a coffee from Cafe Limelight, have your say and catch up with the Cllrs.
Free parking, Saturday 3rd December.
Small Business Saturday falls on 3 December this year, when it will be free to park in all Cornwall Council’s ‘pay and display’ car parks.
Two new officers appointed
Ian Saltern has joined the team as the new Deputy Town Clerk, whilst Akshay Londe is our new Energy & Carbon Officer.
There’s much more in there if you follow the link.