The Met Office has issued a yellow warning for thunderstorms in the SW. Hard to believe after the lovely, fine weather this weekend.
An area of heavy rain will turn more showery later this morning, with a risk of thunderstorms developing, which may be slow-moving in some places. Heavy showers and thunderstorms clearing away southwards early evening. 15-20 mm of rain could fall within an hour and 30-40 mm within 3-4 hours in a few places. Lightning and hail are also possible.
Bude seems to be on the edge of the weather map, so it’s a bit hit and miss, but other areas in Devon especially may experience the following:
- Some flooding of a few homes and businesses likely, leading to some damage to buildings or structures
- There is a good chance driving conditions will be affected by spray, standing water and/or hail, leading to longer journey times by car and bus
- Delays to train services are possible
- Some short term loss of power and other services is possible
- Possibly some damage to a few buildings and structures from lightning strikes