Not everyone in Bude and area works in tourism or hospitality which have been hard hit during the coronavirus lockdown.
Farmers have pretty much continued as normal, but what about those who normally work in offices?
Working from home has been a new experience for many people. Some have enjoyed it so much, they don’t want to return to working in an office. Others really miss their colleagues/interaction and dare I say it, banter? The Office for National Statistics says:
- In April 2020, 46.6% of people in employment did some work at home.
- Of those who did some work from home, 86.0% did so as a result of the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic.
- Of those who did some work from home, around one-third worked fewer hours than usual (34.4%), and around one-third worked more hours than usual (30.3%).
- Women were slightly more likely to do some work at home than men, 47.5% and 45.7% respectively.
- People aged 16 to 24 years were less likely to do some work from home than those in older age groups.
- Occupations requiring higher qualifications and more experience were more likely to provide home working opportunities than elementary and manual occupations.
Of the people I know, those working from home tended to work more hours, possibly incorporating their daily commute into productive working. Some worked over and above their normal hours, perhaps because to many people, working from home does not feel quite like working! While others were able to condense their work into a few days a week instead of daily. Of course, it has been hard on younger people and those who had just started work or were working at lower experience/pay levels and were less likely to have that option.
One of the problems of working from home, as those of us who freelance know, is distraction/space but also others not taking your work seriously. Having children also at home has led to some parents having to work at night when they have gone to bed.
What has your experience been? Will this lead to a whole new way of working or will we all be desperate to get back to the old working routine?