As I shop for cards regularly at Blue Heron Gallery in Bude (a Whistlefish supplier) I am thrilled to hear that Whistlefish is changing a few things:
- Our cards and gift wrap only use FSC certified paper from responsibly managed sources, allowing us to take care of the environment one tree at a time.
- We always use vegetable based inks when printing our cards and any waste ink is taken away and used in other applications.
- The factory in which our cards are printed has been awarded an ‘Excellent’ BREAM rating – the leading sustainability assessment for buildings. The building includes a large array of solar panels, reducing energy consumption, grass-topped roofs, rainwater harvesting for toilet flushing and natural ventilation and excellent insulation to limit heat loss.
- We encourage recycling at our head office and our car park collects waste motor oil for recycling.
OUR 2019 GREEN MATTERS COMMITMENTS
- Naked cards – if your local area has the facility our current plastic slips can be recycled. However, we want everybody to be able to recycle our cards and have made a commitment to remove all plastic packaging slips. In 2019 we will use be introducing plastic free ‘naked cards’ packaged with sustainable and recyclable materials.
- 100% biodegradable finishing – most of our cards are already made from sustainable and recyclable materials and we’re now taking steps to ensure that our cards finished with glitter and foil are also biodegradable by mid-2019.
- Reduce single-use plastic in our framed prints – to prevent damage during transit and delivery we use plastic corners to protect this sensitive part of the frame. We are looking to an alternative solution to plastic corners.
- Tree planting – we are currently in discussions with a third party about creating a new eco-space where we will be committed to planting trees to create a sustainable future.