As events are being cancelled, it looks like being another Covid Christmas, this time with Omicron cases rising at an alarming rate.
Key elements of the Prime Minister’s address earlier were:
- If you’re over 18 and had your second jab at least three months ago, then you can get jabbed right now.
- Every eligible adult in England can use the national booking service.
- There were 78,000 Covid cases today, the highest ever daily number reported.
- Thanks to NHS workers and volunteers, plus the military helping to roll out the vaccination programme. Additionally, the royal Mail who are delivering 900,000 testing kits a day. The volunteer site is here nhsvolunteerresponders.org.uk
- Hospital admissions are going up, but nationwide we are starting to see admissions coming down among some of the more vulnerable older age groups who have had their boosters.
- Keep testing.
Chris Whitty added: “What we’ve got is two epidemics on top of one another – an existing Delta epidemic, roughly flat, and a very rapidly growing Omicron epidemic on top of it.”
He added: “I think what most people are doing – and I think this seems very sensible – is prioritising the social interactions that mean a lot to them and, to prioritise those ones, de-prioritising ones that mean much less to them.”
A huge spike in cases and hospitalisations is expected.
Boosters? The choice is yours. Any stories, please complete the form below: