From Highways England:
There are severe delays of over 60 minutes on the M5 southbound between J23 and J24 approaching the closure of J24, as Avon and Somerset Police are conducting a detailed collision investigation. The carriageway is expected to remain closed until the early afternoon whilst the investigation work is completed. Avon and Somerset Police say:
We were called just after 4am on Saturday 26 June to a single-vehicle collision on the M5 southbound between junctions 24 for Bridgwater and 25 for Taunton.
Sadly the passenger of the black Audi died at the scene.
The driver was arrested and taken to hospital with injuries not believed life-threatening or life-changing.
Highways Englandtraffic reports say:
A diversion is in operation for road users:
- Leave the M5 at J24
- At the J24 roundabout take the 2nd exit onto the A38
- At the next roundabout take the 1st exit and continue on the A38 southbound
- Follow the A38 through North Petherton, Adsborough and Bathpool until the junction with the A358
- Turn right at A38/A358 junction and join the A358 heading eastbound
- Continue on the A358 until the M5 J25 and take the 3rd exit to re-join the M5 southbound
The route is marked out with a solid black diamond symbol on local road signs.
There are currently very long delays reported on the diversion route.
If you’re intending on using this section of motorway please allow plenty of extra time for your journey. You may wish to consider alternative routes or delaying your journey until the road has re-opened (if possible).