Here are some of the key points made by the Chancellor at today’s briefing:
- Today, we have unloaded a shipment of 140,000 gowns from Myanmar.
- HMRC opened the Coronavirus Jobs Retention Scheme (furlough) at 8 o’clock this morning. As of 4 o’clock this afternoon, over 140,000 firms have applied…Firms applying today should receive their cash in six working days. HMRC will continue to provide updates on the number of people furloughed.
- 501,379 tests for coronavirus have now been carried out, including 19,316 tests carried out yesterday
- 124,743 people have tested positive, an increase of 4,676 cases since yesterday
- 17,971 people are currently in hospital with coronavirus in the UK and sadly, of those who have been hospitalised, 16,509 have now died – an increase of 449 fatalities since yesterday. Our thoughts are with the families and friends of all those who have lost their lives.
- I want to thank each and every person across the UK who is following the government’s advice to stay at home, protect our NHS and, ultimately, save lives.