A touch of sunshine and we start having gorse fires which can quickly burn out of control. The most recent one was in the early hours of this morning on Bodmin Moor (Temple area). Crews from Bodmin were mobilised to this large gorse fire.
Further appliances from Lostwithiel, St Dennis, Wadebridge, a specialist vehicle from Launceston and Bodmin along with two Wholetime officers were requested at this incident in the early hours as two large areas of gorse were on fire. Firefighters are using beaters to extinguish the fire. Some gorse fires are started deliberately but many are accidental or due to thoughtlessness, something as simple as throwing a cigarette from a car window, leaving a glass bottle on the ground or not extinguishing a barbecue properly. Yes, we know people shouldn’t leave rubbish or throw cigarette butts on the ground, but alas, they do.
Such an action could well cause a severe gorse fire that destroys acres of countryside and ties up firefighting resources for prolonged periods.
The gorse is beautiful but please be careful to keep it so.