So, ‘freedom’ day!
I was in Bude this morning. There seems to be less social distancing on the streets, but the businesses I visited are all still adhering to social distancing, masks and cleanliness guidelines. On social media, there are requests to be kind. Sad that we have to request it, when it should be common courtesy. One business mentioned a mask refuser today – but the person at least had the grace to wait outside.
Something from Prof Alice Roberts (an English biological anthropologist and Professor in Public Engagement in Science at the University of Birmingham) on Twitter earlier said: Something to bear in mind: if you’re anti-mask, anti-distancing and anti-ventilation – you’re pro-lockdown.
Bude has turned dark blue (which indicates rates rather than numbers) again on the Covid interactive map. It had 11 cases in the 7 days to 13th July. Cornwall as a whole had 1463 for the same period, while neighbouring Torridge had 109, and Devon as a whole 2406.
There is a lot of misinformation about, one of which is that we have somehow magically reached ‘herd immunity’. If that was the case, then people presumably would not catch Covid-19, which is spreading quite dramatically in many places in the UK. Vaccination has reduced the impact significantly but there are now many concerns raised about long Covid.
Government stats tell us that in the UK:
- 48,161 new people had a confirmed positive test result reported on 18 July 2021.
Between 12 July 2021 and 18 July 2021, 316,691 people had a confirmed positive test result. This shows an increase of 43.3% compared to the previous 7 days.
- Vaccines46,295,853 people had been given a first dose by the end of 17 July 2021.
35,970,849 people had been given a second dose by the end of 17 July 2021.
- 740 people with coronavirus went into hospital on 13 July 2021.
Between 7 July 2021 and 13 July 2021, 4,313 went into hospital with coronavirus. This shows an increase of 39.4% compared to the previous 7 days.
There were 3,964 patients in hospital with coronavirus on 15 July 2021.
- There were 551 coronavirus patients in hospital beds with a mechanical ventilator on 15 July 2021.
- There were 25 deaths within 28 days of a positive test for coronavirus reported on 18 July 2021.
Between 12 July 2021 and 18 July 2021, there have been 283 deaths within 28 days of a positive coronavirus test. This shows an increase of 39.4% compared to the previous 7 days.
I may be wrong, but that doesn’t suggest ‘herd immunity’ to me.
In our area:
Estimated R number for South West
1.2 to 1.5 with a daily infection growth rate range of +4% to +8% as of 16 July 2021.
In North Devon Healthcare Trust:
- 2 people with coronavirus went into hospital on 11 July 2021.
- Between 5 July 2021 and 11 July 2021, 4 went into hospital with coronavirus. This shows an increase of 33.3% compared to the previous 7 days.
- There was 1 patient in hospital with coronavirus on 13 July 2021.
- From data on the 18th April, there have been 3 deaths within 28 days of a positive Covid test in Cornwall and the Isles of Scilly.
Enjoy the heatwave but proceed with caution.