Coastguard callout at Widemouth Bay

From Bude Coastguard:

Bude Coastguard Rescue Team was paged at 03:13 this morning and tasked by the Coastguard Operations Centre in Falmouth to assist Devon & Cornwall Police in the search for a high risk missing person in the Widemouth Bay area.

Members of the Police joined the Coastguard Team and briefed them on the missing male, last seen in Widemouth Manor car park.

While a police dog handler searched his last known positions, the Coastguard Rescue Team made their way to Black Rock Beach, beginning a search south along the coast path. Having reached Wanson Mouth with no sighting of the casualty, the team were retasked to search the shoreline and cliffs from Black Rock beach to Salthouse, and then slightly inland.

After two hours, having completed their search, and in the absence of any further information, the team returned to the station to refresh and await further search instructions.

At approximately 6:20 am, a Coastguard Rescue Officer who was making his way to the station to join the search effort (having been unavailable during the night) spotted a male fitting the description of the casualty on the A39, near Tiscott Woods.

Having informed the Coastguard Officer-in-Charge of the sighting, who in turn informed the police, the Rescue Officer then managed to confirm the identity of the male as the missing person. A second Rescue Officer made his way to the location as support, while police officers and an ambulance were quickly dispatched to the scene.

While awaiting the arrival of the police officers, the casualty was monitored from a safe distance by the two CROs. Once the police arrived, the casualty was immediately taken into their care.

The team was stood down at 07:10 this morning.

Great work by the Coastguard and Police on a rotten weather night. Here’s hoping the gentleman concerned receives the ongoing help he needs.

Photo courtesy of The Coastguard.

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.