Budehaven Community School Lead First Aider and Administrator
Job description and person specification
Job title: School Lead First Aider and Administrator
Reporting to: Business Manager
Starting salary: Actual salary of £15,783 (FTE: £21,166)
Hours: Term time (including INSET days) 32.50 hours per week, 8.30am to 3.30pm each day with a 30 minute unpaid lunch.
Start date: September 4th 2019 subject to satisfactory completion of pre-employment checks.
We are seeking to appoint a confident, caring and organised person to join our team in the role of School Lead First Aider and Administrator.
The role will require applicants to:
- provide medical and welfare support to students and co-ordinate First Aid.
- Ensure that pupils with ongoing medical needs are supported in school in line with health care needs.
- Administer approved medication to students and maintain records and reports, including those for statutory requirements.
- process and update student information on sims, including medical records,
- support the administrative team in the school
- provide reception cover as and when required
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- To be the lead on call for First Aid problems, taking appropriate action in the event of an emergency and communicating with staff and parents as necessary.
- To attend to minor medical needs of pupils, such as administering plasters, bandages etc as required, and look after pupils who feel ill. To inform the Business Manager in the event of more serious medical concerns and make the necessary arrangements for parents to be contacted.
- To accompany pupils, where the need arises, to the local hospital and remain with them until parents arrive.
- To be responsible for administering prescribed drugs which are necessary to be taken by pupils during the school day, ensuring that parental consent is obtained and recorded.
- To be responsible for the safe-keeping of prescribed drugs in a locked cupboard.
- To meet with pupils returning to school after an injury which impacts mobility, hearing or sight and agree a personal emergency evacuation plan (PEEP), liaising with the Business Manager
- To liaise with the Directors regarding confidential medical matters.
- To keep an up to date accident record book, reporting to County, make any required RIDDOR reports for accidents at work, review for patterns and report to the Business Manager.
- To carry out monthly stock audits of all First Aid boxes and First Aid kits throughout the school (including those used for trips) and ensure they are replenished. Ensure all emergency First Aid medical equipment is in good working order.
- To be responsible for maintaining stocks and ordering medical supplies and equipment in order to ensure adequate emergency medical resources exist within the school.
- To keep an accurate list of all staff accredited with First Aid at Work, together with dates of expiry, and arrange training to ensure that an appropriate number of staff for all areas of school are trained in these skills in conjunction with the Business Manager.
- To take responsibility for the medical room and ensure this is kept clean and tidy.
- To be responsible for own continuing self-development, undertaking training in medical areas and participating in annual appraisals.
- To collect student data from parents at the start of each year, and during the year for new entrants to the school
- To enter all student medical information into SIMS, maintain accurate records in accordance with new and changing medical needs, and inform staff of relevant information,
- To liaise with the EVC re medical needs for students attending school visits as set out in the EV policy
- To cover reception in the main school and/or the Haven as and when required
- To undertake other administrative duties such as reprographics work and filing
All employees of Budehaven Community School are required to:
- share our vision as outlined in the Budehaven Way – to have high aspirations, expectations of self and others
- have a genuine belief in the potential of every pupil
- continually improve standards and achieve excellence
- commit to equality of opportunity and the safeguarding and welfare of all pupils
The Post holder may be required to perform duties other than those given above. These may vary from time to time without changing the general level of responsibility. Such variations would not justify the re-evaluation of a post.
This post is subject to an enhanced Disclosure & Barring Service check.