Bude fire crew attend bonfire of contaminated material

At 22.55 on 13th May, a call was received by fire control services about a fire in the open at Lower Ossington. One appliance from Bude was mobilised to the incident.

On arrival, the crew found a large unattended bonfire. They then asked for a second appliance to assist due to the nature of what was being burned.

The crews used hose reels to extinguish the fire. Due to what was being burned on the fire, crews then had to decontaminate on scene. Firefighters were at the scene until almost  2 am.

The hazards involved were the corrugated roof panels on the bonfire which were suspected to contain some level of asbestos. Samples were taken to be tested.

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.