The harbour in 1889
The harbour in around 1940 with the Traly.
Harbour in the 1890s
In the 1900s
A colourful view of the schooner President Garfield setting sail at the end of the 19th century.
A casualty is lifted from the inshore lifeboat by a Royal Navy helicopter – most likely as part of the Lifeboat Day practice.
A view of the harbour and Summerleaze beach, taken from Efford Down in the 1930’s. The overgrown tangle of gorse and thorn bushes behind Efford Cottage has yet to develop.
The Traly – Petherick’s replacement for the Ceres – enters harbour in the 1940’s.
The ketch Agnes – originally built on the canal in 1830 – leaves the locks in 1938, with Alf Jennings watching her depart.