From Devon & Cornwall Police:
The Devon & Cornwall police rural affairs team have produced a calendar which highlights rural issues throughout the year to focus problem solving activity for police, partners and public with key messages and prevention activity.
July’s theme is agricultural plant and vehicle theft
Why is this important?
Latest figures show that the theft of agricultural plant and vehicles continues to increase, with a surge in the theft of smaller vehicles such as quad bikes, tractors and navigations systems. This has a financial and emotional impact on rural businesses and their families, impacting on animal welfare and food production.
What do you need to do?
Farmers and members of the public should be vigilant in the countryside reporting any suspicious activity to the police noting vehicle details and descriptions.
How can you prevent this?
• Enjoy the countryside and help protect farmers by following the countryside code.
• Keep a record of serial numbers, photograph equipment showing identity & unique features.
• Immobilise vehicles and machinery in a lockable building with the keys removed and secured.
• Utilise property marking and fit trackers. Remove tractor GPS systems when not in use.
• Anyone able to offer information is asked to email firstname.lastname@example.org, call 101 or Call crimestoppers anonymously 08007 830 137.
• Join Devon & Cornwall Alert and farm watch so that we can tell you what is happening in your area.